Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Prioritizing your Priorities.

I was supposed to do this yesterday, I'm a bad little law school lady, oops!
Let's see...one thing I learned in law school that is not law related?
I would go as far as to say that most of what I have learned in law school is not law related!
But for today, I'll go with...

prioritizing.

Law school teaches you more about your priorities than you could ever discover on your own. A million and one things are thrown at you daily--Sometimes law school forces you to to rearrange things, and sometimes it requires you to stand your ground.

Life is always full of obligations and opportunities, and if law school had its way with you, it would suck up every ounce of energy you have to contribute to the world. You could busy yourself morning till night with extensive reading assignments, compulsive outlining, resume-building clubs and organizations, etc. But you absolutely must maintain some sort of balance in your life. You must prioritize. For me, that has sometimes meant buckling down, staying home, and studying. Other days it has meant putting the books aside and relaxing or spending time with people I love.

While it has hardly been an easy lesson to learn, ( I'm still learning it, in fact...) it is so incredibly valuable. It is life simplifying and it allows you to take greater joy in the things that are most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment