Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Goals...big and small


We used to spend every new year's eve in Knoxville, TN, visiting our friends the Taylors.
About 5 years ago (which was probably the last NYE we went) I remember that January 1 fell on a Sunday. So we went to church. I don't remember the whole sermon, but I remember the verse. It stayed with me (like in the Wedding Planner when she only ate the brown M&M's at the end). I don't even remember what I learned in Civil Procedure last semester or Employment law last week, so the fact that this stuck with me for 5 years is pretty significant!

The verse was Luke 2:52

And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.

It is not a long, complex verse, but it is chalk full of applicable information-at least for me. So many of my goals center around the "stature" part of this verse. I want to lose weight or exercise more. I want to run a half marathon. But if all of my goals center here I am missing out.

So...
handpaintedquilts.com

BIG GOAL: I want to grow in wisdom.
Small steps to get there: I think it can mean learning in general. But wisdom is more than knowledge. I want to learn from my mistakes and appreciate the good and not so good things that life throws at me.
BIG GOAL: I want to grow in stature.
HAHA--ok so opposite of this.
Small steps to get there: I want to be healthy. I want to treat food and exercise appropriately. They are both a necessary and vital source of life! And I do want to run a half marathon which means setting smaller goals like one long run a week.

BIG GOAL: Grow in favor with God
Small steps to get there: This is why I am so glad to be living in community with friends like Chelsy and Abby-and our group that meets on Thursday nights. I want to read my bible daily. Pray more. But I don't do great when I try to do this on my own. It requires accountability and encouragement!
BIG GOAL: Grow in favor with man
Small steps to get there: I have great friends! I have great people in my life. It is so easy to not put in the effort to keep those relationships going-especially when you have kids. But I want to strengthen the relationships that I have and not hinder new ones from forming.

Thanks for being a part of my journey...Cole
Tomorrow it is Jessica's turn :)

No comments:

Post a Comment